Monday, November 30, 2015

Scratch Game Design

Scratch Chase Game

(If it goes back to the game you're done with, move your mouse pointer)

Hey guys, so something we've been working on is Scratch. Scratch is a website where you can create your own game. It takes a lot of coding (if you make a complex game.) For my game, I've thought of penguins. Who doesn't like penguins right? So one of my characters (out of two) is a penguin and the other one is a shark. You can say that it would be a real life situation where a penguin is running or swimming away from a shark. No, it won't get eaten you'd only lose points so no death is shown. I won't say that everybody would like my game that I created, I'm only a beginner so you have to deal with it for now (not like I'd be a professional.) It's the user who'd decide on how they would be affected by my game and it's not the best, don't expect some huge explosion then the penguin pops out of nowhere then met a villain (shark) and it has to run away from it in the sea. Yeah, none of that just some simple game where you run away (so complex I know.) I'm going to be honest, for the first few codes that we've done I was like, "Oh yeah, this seems easy. I can manage this project!" and then it gets to actually making it, then I went from "Yay" to "Nay."

I'll go in depth and tell you about my game. My game contains 2 sprites as so called in Scratch. The sprites are a shark and the penguin you see above. The idea of my game is stated on my first paragraph, it's to run away from the shark until the timer goes off. I did draw my own background and penguin, I tried my best. I had a set of plans on how things are going to go, but then I had to change it because I didn't have that much time to work on my Scratch. In my opinion, not that much people in my class drew their own sprites nor background. If I compare my game to others, one feature that would stand out is that I drew my background and penguin. (The most important and outstanding thing of all *wink wink*) To be honest I really like what my game has come to, it doesn't really work that well but it works and I tried my best. It amazes me that I can make my own game and let the whole world see and play it and compliment it how bad or good it is. I've tried my best and I know I can go over and beyond on my level at the moment, but I'm having some trouble with computers (it's not working) so I don't have much time to work on it except for school.

To be honest, I didn't copy all my code from another scratcher. I've learned from my previous scratch game which is the Chase Game. I've learned how to make it jump and so on. But overall, the best code I've done would be a simple jumping. I know its simple, it's just jumping you can just add a forever code with a sensing code and motion. Not my case, the trouble I had on making my sprite jump and gliding or falling back down was very challenging. That's what makes it the best code I've done, I've figured out how to make it jump and go back down. When it touches black then it stays there and you can jump to the next platform. Yes, it does look fairly easy to do but trust me it works great. If you played my platformer game let me tell you that there is a lot of bugs that I have to fix. One of the major one is when you reach the last level and you go to the red box it makes the sprite float up. I don't know what happened but it works fine in the first level then it goes all down hill on the second level. That's the main one actually, nothing else bugs except for the last level where it floats and then you get stuck and then you go from smiling to "oh, now what?" thing. I do hope you guys like it, it's exceptional if you don't I get it. Just hoping you guys would, I know how bad I am at Scratch, younger students than me is better than me to be honest, I won't lie about that.











10 comments:

  1. I really like the characters and how smooth it moves
    I think that you can maybe add more sharks to make it allitle bit harder buy putting in new sprites
    I think its cool that you made it a penguin and shark

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the penguin smooth moving animation. Although, it would be nice if the shark didn't disappear every 2 secs you should delete the code there. This game has a lot of potential (even though it is already a good game.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your game is really cute, especially the penguin. However, you might want to make it more obvious you won the game. Maybe you could make a script where it says "Yay! You win!" when you get a certain number of points. That would make the game really good. Awesome background did you make it yourself. If so? Super great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the penguin and how it is smoothly moved.
    I think you should add a way to win by if get 4 points then put backdrop win.
    I like how the shark disappears and reappears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the way you made a cat to get to the blue and the red. Nice creativity! But you could have made a down arrow to make the sprite go down because I couldn't get to the red before the time ran out. Over all, you did a good job with your platform game!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how this game it complicated and its fun
    I suggest that you could maybe fix your down arrow so you can reach the red block
    I really like how your sprite glides smoothly across the page very well done

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your chase game and your character is adorable it makes you want to save it from the shark. It would never gain points just lose points. I like how your shark hides then appears it makes it really cool and hard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your backdrop and sprite you used! CREATIVE!
    Although, I noticed that I couldn't go backdown to get to the red box!
    I also loved that that the arrow keys worked nice and smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The gravity engine you used works really well, great job. In the future, I would use a stop all block to completely stop the game, so it doesn't continue to move. Overall, the game works really well.

    ReplyDelete